Injected By Frozen Wanderlust..........

Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Milestone

She's gone. It's taken me this long to sit here and let you know. And I am crying, crying like it happened just a heartbeat ago.
On November 16, I looked in her eyes and it was time. Dakota passed quietly to the Rainbow Bridge around 8:15 that evening.
I never thought I'd have the courage to do it, but I laid with her as they gave her the sedative, whispered all the right things in her ear. I read somewhere that hearing is the last sense to go in humans, and I sort of assumed the same for my baby. I stayed and I held her as they injected the drug to stop her heart. I must believe that everything else had shut down, but her heart was still beating for me. As odd as it sounds, I was closer to Dakota than any other living thing on this earth - and I have children and friends and a roommate. Letting her go was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.
A piece of my heart went to the Bridge that night as well. Healing, well, I guess. Sometime, some day.
For now, I am needed at work. I will continue to bury my hurt there, and hope that when it's time to surface, I'll be able to face a future without my best friend.

Godspeed Dakota. Until we meet again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment